Saturday 23 January 2016

Who Could Resist More Chocolate Cake ?


Well certainly not me :) Last weekend's cake disappeared so quickly I had to make another one today. Unfortunately it's not photo-worthy yet. Half of the frosting is on but the frosting got a little stiff so I'm waiting for that to loosen up before I can finish it off. And now it's dark so I won't be taking any more photos until tomorrow.

Here is the recipe for Kay who requested it.

The chocolate sponge recipe is taken from one of Mary Berry's old cookbooks:-

4 tablespoons of cocoa
4 tablespoons of hot water
225g soft margarine (I always use Stork)
225g caster sugar
275 self-raising flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
4 eggs
1 tablespoon milk

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees (gas mark 4)
Mix the cocoa and water together to make a paste
Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl and blend with an electric mixer or whisk until smooth
Bake for approximately 35-40 minutes

The chocolate fudge icing recipe is taken from the book "Cupcakes from the Primrose Bakery" which is one of my very favourite baking books.

175g good quality dark chocolate (I use Dr Oethker)
225g unsalted butter at room temperature
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon good quality vanilla extract
250g icing sugar, sifted

Basically, melt the chocolate and then whisk all the ingredients together using an electric whisk until smooth and stiff. I tend to pop it into the fridge for 15 minutes or so too just to make it stiffer. Unfortunately this time I left it in the fridge too long and it's as stiff as a board ! Hence why my cake is only half decorated this evening.

It's been a long day ... I've been shopping, made dinner for tonight (pasta with leeks and bacon in a homemade cheese sauce), baked the chocolate cake and walked the dogs. I'm now ready to sit down with a glass of Prosecco or two and do some more card-making !

Have a good evening all x



7 comments:

  1. Thank you :-) I can't wait to give it a try

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the recipe, think my sons will appreciate that. I think you have definitely earned the couple of glasses of Prosecco after your busy day. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks good thanks for the recipe, I have an similar sounding long day today though the slow cooker will be put into service to help out x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds yum! I hope you had a lovely rest after your long day :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cake looks delish and I'm betting the Prosecco went down a treat after all the busy-ness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all your kind comments ladies :) x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Primrose Bakery Cupcakes boom is one of my absolute favourites. The recipes are so reliable. I have their other books too, but that is the one I return to time and again x

    ReplyDelete